Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Years Eve Class - progress

On New Years Eve, Julie and I went to Cornerstone Quilts in Fairfield, CA for an overnight class/sew in. I decided to try the french braid class. All good and well, but we had signed up late and I didn't get the supply list so I came with a set of batiks and another grouping of fat quarters. Luckily the pattern called for fat quarters (although, as I found out - you had to cut very specifically or get another fat quarter [I think I did that 3 or 4 times!!!]. Several of the gals helped me with fabric selection. One in particular was absolutely excellent at it.

It wasn't one of my best nights: the sewing machine I brought had issues, I had cutting issues, I was tired from all the holiday hoopla....excuses, excuses. I was able to get most of my cutting done, but when my machine failed at midnight I decided to give it up. I had booked a room at a local hotel so I didn't need to worry about being on the road after midnight - which was a great idea. We stayed till about 12:30 and were the first to leave.

There was food, giveaways (thanks to the P&B Textiles rep) and lots of fabric to fawn over. Many thanks to the owners and staff at the shop.

The picture above is where I am on the french braid quilt. I have another 6 braids to add for the full 12 color run, then I'll do it again for the second run. I think it's going to be a gorgeous quilt when it's done.

2 comments:

Juels said...

It was only 3 times. On the 3rd re-cut you had it down beautifully. And the colors are great. Can't wait to see the finished product!
After your machine pooped out, you multitasked and worked on your skeined yarn.
Knew I should have brought my spinning wheel. Darn!

Diane said...

Aren't you nice! I'm really excited with how this is turning out. I have three more pieces to add to each row and I'm done. now I have to get the book to figure out how to finish it.