Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 12 - Asheville and the Biltmore Estate

Odometer Reading:   58959
Starting Point:  Wythville, VA 
Destination:  Waynesville, NC (via Asheville)
Miles driven today:  211
State Lines Crossed:  3 - VA, TN, NC
Quilt Stores visited:  1 - Quilters Quarters, Waynesville, NC

Today we left Wythville, VA around 8:30 and got on the road.  We had about 3.5 hours of driving to get to get to Biltmore.  We were so glad that we got the 4 hour drive in on Sunday so we could have plenty of time to walk through the Estate.  It was one of those uneventful drives, the sky was blue and the sun was shining as we started out. The clouds didn't roll in till while we were doing the tour of the house.  The best news is that the rain held off till after we got to our hotel in Waynesville.  We are hoping that the rain runs through this evening so our drive isn't too difficult tomorrow.

Here's the state signs - I kind of failed with the NC one - but, did my best



Fall colors are not as evident in Tennessee or North Caroline - I guess they are too far south and will catch up later.  We did see some color here and there.



Despite the fall colors not being so evident, the landscape was beautiful with little farms hidden in valleys off the highway.  Once we got to NC the thing that was astounding were the mountains.  Just beautiful.  I  didn't think the photos would do them justice, but it does provide a little bit of what it was like seeing them.



We finally arrived at Biltmore around 11:30 and took the winding road up to the parking lot, where we caught a shuttle to the house and gardens.




When we rounded the corner  to the view of the estate, there was a collective "Wow!!" from those on the bus.  The driver had just been telling us that when the house was first opened it was an hour buggy ride through winding roads up to the house, which were designed to help people leave behind the hustle and bustle of outside life and relax with the beautiful surroundings, with the final turn giving you a view of the house which is meant to make people do exactly what we all did on the shuttle - although I'm sure the words would be different.  


View from the loggia off the main living room.  No photos are allowed in the house - only the outside.



The loggia.  In good weather all the doors would be open to the outside.



This is a view of the grand staircase area - the windows follow along with the staircase, providing lovely views as you walk up.



After doing the tour through three floors of the house, we had lunch in the courtyard which must have been part of the stables in the early days.  Theen we walked down to the gardens.






It is just a beautiful place.  

We left Biltmore and headed to our NC quilt shop where we had a great time despite the fact that we have both said we are over quilt shops.  This one was probably one of the nicest we've visited and the owner was very friendly.  

During this trip we stopped at a total of 14 shops in 13 states.  We missed shops in Kentucky, Virginia, New Jersey and Tennessee.  But that's OK.  I can't wait to see how our memory quilts turn out.  I have a blog post almost ready to go with the list of shops, photos, and pictures of what I bought.  I did it mostly to help me keep track of what fabric goes for which state.  I'll try to get that uploaded.

We are at the end of our trip.  Tomorrow we drive to Nashville where Jackie will drop me off at my hotel and she will head on home to Huntsville.  My flight out is early Wednesday morning.  Someone please remind me the next time I book a trip to make sure my flight doesn't take off till at least 10.  These 7 AM flights are killers.  On the other hand, it will be nice to get in early afternoon and have time to settle back in to regular life again.

Thanks for reading. I'll probably do one wrap up tomorrow and then try to get back to blogging about what I'm making (which means I Have to get back to making things).

No comments: