Thursday, June 14, 2012

Friday-Dublin and our farewell dinner

Dublin tour today. Our driver Will is great. He has so much information to share I don't know how he remembers everything. He's been great the whole trip and has arranged some special things for us, so we were lucky to get him. Luana Rubin, owner and boss at Equilter.com has been our host for the trip. She's been so kind to all of us, making sure everything was just right. Again, she helped make the trip special. I can't wait to see the pictures she has taken when she posts them on her blog. She is quite the photographer along with all her other talents!

Dublin was surprising to me, I think because there were a lot of people and a lot of traffic. I guess I've been spoiled by 10 days of being driven all over the countryside. Dublin reminds me in some ways of San Francisco - without the tall buildings. I love the pedestrian walkways through the shopping areas that we've encountered both in Galway and here. How nice to walk around without concern for cars and bikes .

We started with a driving tour of the city. Then we went to Trinity College to see the Book of Kells. I took a class at the international quilt festival on making quilt patterns from designs found in the book of Kells, so it was exciting to see actual pages from this ancient text. We were also allowed to walk through the long room, which is the oldest part of the library at the college, where other rare, old books are on display. Amazing to think that some of the books there were over 300 years or more old.

After the tour Janelle and I took off to explore the city. We saw a couple of Anglican churches and walked around the outside areas of Dublin Castle. We then tried to work our way back to a pub suggested by Will, however, after a long walk we gave up and chose another pub for our lunch. Food was great and we toasted Janelle's 32nd wedding anniversary.

We came back for our farewell dinner with the tour group. It was here at Druids Glen. Food was fabulous!

So now we are packed and ready to go. We leave the hotel at 7 am for a 10:45 flight. I'm definitely sleeping on the plane!!

Here are a few pictures. When I get home and have my computer I'll go through and edit these entries and organize the photos better with some commentary.
Literary Walk
Put in Dublin
Oscar Wilde Statue in the park
A little blurry (taken as we were driving) - the color doors of Dublin
Literary Walk
A view of the River - Dublin
Another colorful door
and another
crazy modern sculpture on Trinity College grounds, Dublin
Pedestrian Mall
Deer in one of the parks in Dublin
Another literary great
Entrance to Trinity College
St Patricks Cathedral - Dublin
Another Door

No comments: