Wednesday, October 24, 2018

October 5, 2018 - Tromso

Day 8 - October 5, 2018 - Tromso

We started the day with a group meeting during which Brigitte gave Jackie a gift for being the first person on one of her tours to win the Arctic Circle prize.  Also in the photo - Jo, Noeleen and Cathy - the traveling sisterhood....


Brigitte - the other honorary member of the traveling sisterhood showing us the jar of cloudberry jam she had just shared.  I was able to get a jar and look forward to having a taste at home.


Views from the ship







Today we took the Arctic Capital tour. We started the tour with the cable car ride up the mountain ledge, Storsteinen (421 meters above sea level). At the top, we could see panoramic views of Tromso and the surrounding islands, mountains and fjords. 












The Arctic Cathedral - next stop








Next stop was the Arctic Cathedral, an architectural masterpiece and town landmark. Final stop was the Polaria center which is an Arctic aquarium. We had a beautiful, sunny day just a bit on the chilly side. We have been blessed with great weather. The locals tell us they don’t usually see this much sun.









Our final stop of the day was the Polaria Aquarium.







Back on the ship for dinner and Oktoberfest. Unfortunately, Oktoberfest was a bust. Not much of a celebration. But still fun hanging with our group of sisters, Noeleen and Jo from Perth Australia, Jackie and I, and our two honorary sisters, Cathy and Birgette. Such a fun group of ladies.


To top the day off, we were treated to a view of the Northern Lights. The funny story is that Jackie had just gotten back in our room when she looked and and said - I see northern lights.  I said she was full of it.  One minute later, we hear an announcement from the crew that the northern lights were visible.  I was obviously wrong.  We both got dressed and went outside.  I could barely see them and knew my camera would not be able to capture them, so I went inside where it was much warmer while the people with the good cameras did their best to get shot.   I am glad I can say that I saw them in person.

No comments: