Monday, September 23, 2013

Monday - LONDON!!!!!

Well, it was a fun and eventful day.  I made it from Munich to London, got thru customs, got a ticket for the express train to Paddington station.  This was my first mistake. 20£ and if the ride was more then 20 minutes it would be a miracle.  Beautiful train, clean, fancy, but really???  There was a non express train that was probably cheaper and I had nothing but time, but oh we'll, lesson learned.

I checked in at my hotel.  I may not believe the reviews on hotels.com after this.  The place leaves a lot to be desired.  However, I got a nice hot shower, the bed is no less comfortable than anything I've slept on since I left home.  It was a good price and its close to Paddington station which is easy to get around from, so there you go.

I bought a London Pass with transportation pass, so I was able to make my way to Charing Cross to pick up the Pass.  I think I already made back the price of it because...

 I saw a special exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery


Went to St Martin in the Fields church - a name I heard so many times when I listened to the classical station.  Very plain church (compared to the ones in Germany, Austria and Slovakia).  


But here is the window behind the altar.....kind of odd, but the more I look at it, the more sense it makes.



This is a small chapel downstairs.  They do sung evening prayer there each evening at 6 pm.  I thought about doing that, but ended up doing something much more exciting..


Walked from there to Trafalgar Square

and from there to Parliament down Whitehall Road






No comments: